Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. - Zora Neale Hurston
Researching employers can help you identify companies that are a “good fit” for you, network effectively, target your resume, and prepare for an interview. A company’s website is a great place to start your research – but don’t stop there. The following resources offer additional insights into organizations that will be helpful to your job search.
STEP 1 - Download the Employer Research Guide
Employer Research Guide: Download the guide for clearly defined steps on how to successfully research employers and apply the information to your job search.
To access LinkedIn Learning videos, please first login with your WGU credentials.
The guide will teach you how to:
- Research organizations online to target potential employers
- Browse employer job postings to explore available opportunities and gain understanding of qualifications/skills required for positions of interest
- Utilize LinkedIn and social media to identify connections and expand knowledge on targeted companies
- Leverage your current network to build professional connections (friends, family, previous co-workers, etc.)
- Your Ideal Networks (LinkedIn Learning video, 4m 24s)
- Conduct informational interviews and learn directly from company employees
STEP 2 - Stay Connected
Take advantage of all of the perks that come along with being a student or alum and leverage your WGU network!
- WGU - Western Governors University Alumni & Students - LinkedIn Alumni/Student Group
- Night Owl Network - Alumni Networking Group (currently for Alumni only)
STEP 3 - Reach Out to Career & Professional Development
As you complete the activities described in the guide, a Career Advisor is available to answer questions, provide clarification, and offer support.
To request an appointment: Send your questions, areas for clarification and a copy of your Employer Research Guide (complete with your own notes and progress) to firstname.lastname@example.org and a career advisor will be in touch shortly after your email is received.
We look forward to working with you!