Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. - Zora Neale Hurston
Researching employers can help you identify companies that are a “good fit” for you, network effectively, target your resume, and prepare for an interview. A company’s website is a great place to start your research – but don’t stop there. The following resources offer additional insights into organizations that will be helpful to your job search.
STEP 1 - Download the Employer Research Guide
Employer Research Guide: Download the guide for clearly defined steps on how to successfully research employers and apply the information to your job search.
The guide will teach you how to:
- Research organizations online to target potential employers
- Browse employer job postings to explore available opportunities and gain understanding of qualifications/skills required for positions of interest
- Utilize LinkedIn and social media to identify connections and expand knowledge on targeted companies
- Leverage your current network to build professional connections (friends, family, previous co-workers, etc.)
- Your Ideal Networks (Lynda.com video, 4m 24s)
- Conduct informational interviews and learn directly from company employees
STEP 2 - Stay Connected
Take advantage of all of the perks that come along with being a student or alum and leverage your WGU network!
- WGU - Western Governors University Alumni & Students - LinkedIn Alumni/Student Group
- Night Owl Network - Alumni Networking Group (currently for Alumni only)
STEP 3 - Reach Out to Career & Professional Development
As you complete the activities described in the guide, a Career Advisor is available to answer questions, provide clarification, and offer support.
To request an appointment: Send your questions, areas for clarification and a copy of your Employer Research Guide (complete with your own notes and progress) to email@example.com and a career advisor will be in touch shortly after your email is received.
We look forward to working with you!