LINKEDIN & SOCIAL MEDIA
Social Media & Branding
Showcasing your "brand” helps set yourself apart for a potential employer, marketing who you are, the skills you bring and the value you add. We encourage you to review the resources below to gain deeper insight into personal branding and marketing yourself:
- Establish your professional profile and control one of the top search results for your name.
- Build and maintain your professional network.
- Find and reconnect with colleagues and classmates.
- Learn about other companies, and gain industry insights.
- Find other professionals in the same industry using groups.
- Discover new career opportunities by searching for jobs and tapping into your network.
STEP 1 - Download the LinkedIn User Guide
LinkedIn User Guide: The guide provides clearly defined steps on how to develop a strong LinkedIn profile, develop your network, job search, and brand yourself.
The guide will teach you how to:
- Create a LinkedIn Profile (Lynda.com playlist)
- Build Your LinkedIn Network (Lynda.com playlist)
- Use LinkedIn Day to Day (Lynda.com playlist)
STEP 2 - Stay connected
Take advantage of all the perks that come along with being a student or alum and leverage your WGU network!
- WGU - Western Governors University Alumni & Students - Be sure to make this group one of the first LinkedIn groups you join to connect with other WGU students and alumni!
- WGU – Alumni & Student Career Insights – Gain career insights on the 112,000+ students and alumni. You can do a search to see what types of positions fellow WGU students and alumni hold, what companies they work for, where they are located, and more!
STEP 3 - Reach out to Career & Professional Development
As you complete the activities described in the guide, a Career Advisor is available to answer questions, review your LinkedIn profile, and offer support.
To request an appointment: Send your questions, areas for clarification and a copy of your LinkedIn User Guide (complete with your own notes and progress) to firstname.lastname@example.org and a career advisor will be in touch within 4 business hours after your email is received.
We look forward to working with you!
LinkedIn Additional Resources
- Ultimate LinkedIn Cheat Sheet Infographic - A visual guide to achieving profile perfection by Leisurejobs.com.
- LinkedIn for Students - Resources to let you know the benefits of a LinkedIn profile and presence, and to help you get started!
- LinkedIn Help - Comprehensive resource to get answers to your LinkedIn questions directly from the source.