Your resume is a living document that you will update and share with employers and connections throughout your career. We want to ensure your competency in writing a strong resume that makes a positive professional impression. Before we provide a detailed resume review, we ask that you complete the following process.
STEP 1 - Understand the purpose of a resume
It is first important to explore the purpose of a resume. Keeping the needs of a hiring manager in mind while constructing your resume can help you target your resume and speak to an organization’s unique needs. Click on the short tutorial below to learn more about how to draft a resume that gets you noticed!
The Mindset of the Hiring Manager
STEP 2 - Choose an appropriate layout and design
Selecting a layout that highlights your strengths and skills is essential to building a successful resume. The brief tutorials below will help you assemble an industry-appropriate design.
Teachers College Students - For resume resources to apply for a teaching position, visit our Teaching Resources page. To build your field experience resume, visit the Field Experience Resource page.
Resume Layout & Design
Comparing Two Resumes
Resume Samples & Templates
STEP 3 - Build your content
After you have selected an appropriate layout, it is time to start building effective resume content. Work through the series of tutorials below for strategies to help you emphasize your own unique skills and accomplishments.
Build Your Content: Header & Profile
Build Your Content: Education
Build Your Content: Experience
Build Your Content: Other Considerations
STEP 4 - Prepare for Career & Professional Development review
Review the following tutorial for guidelines that will help you prepare for your official review.
Review for Accuracy & Impact
- Resume Self-Review Checklist - Please review and complete before submitting your resume to WGU Career & Professional Development.
- O*Net-SOC AutoCoder - The O*NET-SOC AutoCoder is a tool that can instantly provide a high-quality occupational classification based on your resume or a job description and help confirm that your resume is targeted toward the position to which you are applying.
- TagCrowd - Use your resume and job description to create your own word clouds to visualize word frequency and to ensure your resume aligns with the job description.
STEP 5 - Request a review
- Make sure to assess your own resume thoroughly prior to requesting a review (see STEP 4 above)
- Email email@example.com and attach a Word version of your resume. Please include the specific position or the types of positions you are interested in applying to and any additional questions that you might have in the body of your email.
- Provide feedback by answering three quick questions. Career & Professional Development works to continuously improve the career resources and services provided. We welcome your feedback!